<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, September 11, 2006

Five Years Ago......
There are times in history where you never forget where you were when events happened. For my parents it was where they were when President Kennedy was assassinated. For my cohort, it was when the Challenger exploded.
Then there was Tuesday, September 11, 2001.
There will be untold volumes of bandwidth today with 9/11 remembrances, and I am hesitant to pile on especially when others do it so much better.
But nevertheless...
I was about six weeks into my current job, still trying to get to know people. My wife and young son were with her mother who was having surgery that day. I walked into the surgeon's lounge in between cases. The TV was on CNN and the view was smoke coming from the north tower. There was discussion about a pane that had flown into the tower. Some sort of accident, maybe. The live footage of Flight 175 crashing into the south tower took that off the table at once.
I tried to call my wife but with both of us being in the depths of a hospital, the call could not go through.
Still cases to do though. I was in the middle of one when Flight 77 struck the Pentagon. That was my last for the day and I, as millions of others, spent the rest of the day transfixed in front of the television.
I eventually was able to reach my wife, parents, and siblings. Of course everyone down here was OK, and after several hours we heard from our family living in Manhattan.
And the world changed forever.
|
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?